Monday, January 24, 2011

Appreciating Rock Music at its finest.

I was a non-believer of how rock music can make me stand up for 9 whole hours and still enjoying. But Red Horse Beer Pambansang Muziklaban proved to me that rock music is worth the night, the sweat and painful fight against sleep.


Every year, we have the privilege of holding the Red Horse Beer (RHB) Muziklaban Rock Challenge. And just last Saturday, we serviced 28,000 attendees of the RHB Muziklaban Grand Finals one of the decade's best rock concert ever. 


At first, I was hesitant in mind to give my full attention as the coordinator of the judges for the event. But as the event comes nearer and nearer, I became more excited. Something very unusual because I don't remember enjoying rock music before that day. 


Pre-finals judging happened last Jan. 18 at B-Side Bar in Makati. It was the moment for the judges to get close with the grand finalists and know their music more. Aside from that, this was when I learned how wonderful rock music is. During the bands' sound check, I was really amazed on how they created a good rhythm and awesome music. I knew it was too loud to sit in front of them while hearing them beat their guitars and drums but I never cared coz I was enjoying.


Come the Grand Finals night, I was lucky to have been assigned at the judges' area which is located at the 2nd level of the tech booth tower, some meters away from the stage. I had a good view of the event. I enjoyed it of course! And it was sort of emotional for me because it was a tribute for Francis Magalona, one of the Filipino artists I look up to. It was a great night because I became a rock fan. To be specific: a Slapshock fan. When they performed, the audience were out of their minds slamming with each other. Viewing from the top, they looked like water flowing and circling. They enjoyed the performance of Slap even more when the guys agreed to the audience's request of "isa pa!"


Truly it was one historic event of the decade. Being able to gather up 28,000 people inside a venue and more or less 13,000 outside was really a fulfillment. In the history of Muziklaban, this is the biggest they've had in terms of crowd and guest performers. And also, it was the first time that a rock event gave tribute to a non-rock icon, resulting to weird comments of some attendees seeing Noel Cabangon, Manny Pacquiao, Duncan Ramos, Brownman Revival and other non-rock artists performing onstage. Of course, your usual rock artists were present: Slapshock, Greyhoundz, Kjwan, Wilabaliw, Even, Mayonnaise, Hatankaru, Gayuma, Ibarra, Tower of Doom bands (Sin, Cog, Arcadia, Bloodshedd, etc)
But nevertheless, it was one event I know I will never forget.


To share with you, this is my favorite rock song of the moment:


Carino Brutal
by Slapshock


Inukit mo ang dusa't pasakit
Kung ako sayo wag na wag kang lalapit...
(3x)

Lumuha ang langit umaga'y di sasapit
Umaapoy Lumiliyab ang salitang walang laman
Magulo ang isip laman ng panaginip

Ginapos mo ako sa sarili kong mundo
Sumisigaw [hoy] humihiyaw [hoy]
Yakapin mo ako

Umihip ang hanging papalapit sa akin
Umaasang magiiba ang ikot ng aking mundo
Sugat ay lumalim ako ay palayain

Ginapos mo ako sa sarili kong mundo
Sumisigaw [hoy] humihiyaw [hoy]
Yakapin mo ako
(Repeat)


Ginapos mo. Ginapos mo
Ako... ako... ako...

Inukit mo ang dusa't pasakit
Kung ako sayo wag na wag kang lalapit...
(3x)

Ginapos mo ako sa sarili kong mundo
Sumisigaw [hoy] humihiyaw [hoy]
Yakapin mo ako
(Repeat)





Hope you enjoy as much as I do

No comments:

Post a Comment